Tuesday 3 November 2015

Complaining - Talking about Complaints,Conversations on the Phone,Expressing Thanks and Gratitude,Making invitations

Complaining - Talking about Complaints


What are complaints?

Complaints are expressions of "displeasure or annoyance" in response to an action that is seen by the speaker as unfavorable. Suppose you want to complain about the pizza you have just ordered because it's too salty, what are the expressions needed to express and respond to complaints?

Complaining:

Here are expressions you can use when complaining:complaining
  • I have a complaint to make. ...
  • Sorry to bother you but...
  • I'm sorry to say this but...
  • I'm afraid I've got a complaint about...
  • I'm afraid there is a slight problem with...
  • Excuse me but there is a problem about...
  • I want to complain about...
  • I'm angry about...

 Examples:

I have a complaint to make.
Your pizza is just too salty.
I'm sorry to say this but
your food is inedible.
1. I'm afraid I've got a complaint about your child.He's too noisy .
2. I'm afraid there is a slight problem with the service in this hotel.
3.Excuse me but you are standing on my foot.
4. I want to complain about the noise you are making.
5. I'm angry about the way you treat me.

Responding to complaints

 Positive response to complaints:

  • I'm so sorry, but this will never occur / happen again.
  • I'm sorry, we promise never to make the same mistake again.
  • I'm really sorry; we'll do our utmost/best not to do the same mistake again.

 Negative response to complaints:

  • Sorry there is nothing we can do about it.
  • I'm afraid, there isn't much we can do about it.
  • We are sorry but the food is just alright.

Things to remember about complaints:

When expressing a complaint in English, it helps to be polite. Although "I'm angry about your pizza. It's too salty" is one possible way of expressing a complaint, it is considered too rude and you'd better use more polite expressions if you want to get what you want!

Conversations on the Phone


Telephone conversations

It is common that English speakers make phone calls either for business reasons or personal affairs. These are expressions you can use in your conversations on the phone.
  • You 've reached .... company/department.
  • How can I help you?
  • Can I speak to Mr/Mrs.....?
  • Could I speak to ...., please?
  • Who shall I say is calling?
  • Who's calling, please?
  • Who's speaking?
  • It's Mr/Mrs... here.
  • It's Mr/Mrs... speaking.
  • Mr/Mrs... speaking.
  • Please hold and I'll put you through.
  • Just a second. I'll see if s/he is in.
  • Hang on for a moment.

Phone Conversation Quiz

Choose the right answer

  1. Which question the person answering the phone may ask you when you call a company.
  2. You say 'hang on':
  3. Please ... and I’ll put you through.
  4. What is the expression used to connect two people on the telephone?
  5. Hang on for...
  6. Just a second. I... if he is in!
  7. Please hold and I'll ... you through
      
  8. Who ... I say is calling?
  9. You 've ... the Finance Department.
  10. ... I speak to Mrs O'Neil?

     right answer

    1. Which question the person answering the phone may ask you when you call a company.
      Who's calling please?
    2. You say ‘hang on’:
      To keep a telephone connection open 
    3. Please ... and I'll put you through.
      hold
    4. What is the expression used to connect two people on the telephone?
      I'm putting you through
    5. Hang on for...
      a second
    6. Just a second. I... if he is in!
      'll see
    7. Please hold and I'll ... you through
      put
    8. Who ... I say is calling?
      shall
    9. You 've ... the Finance Department.
      reached

    10. ... I speak to Mrs O'Neil?
      Can

      Making invitations


      Making invitations

      Do you know how to invite someone to your house for dinner or to go to the movies?
      What do you say in English when someone invites you?
      Here are some common expressions you can use when making or responding to invitations

      Inviting:

      • Do you want to go to the movies tonight?
      • Would you like to go to the theater tomorrow?
      • Would you be interested in going to the the stadium next Sunday?
      • How do you fancy going to the the restaurant for dinner?
      • How about going to the movies?
      • Care to come over for lunch?
      • I was just wondering if you would like to come over for a drink.
      • We'd be delighted to have you over for my birthday party.

      Accepting invitations:

      • Sure. What time?
      • I'd love to, thanks.
      • That's very kind of you, thanks.
      • That sounds lovely, thank you.
      • What a great idea, thank you.
      • Sure. When should I be there?

      Declining invitations:

      • invitationI can't.  I have to work.
      • This evening is no good.  I have an appointment.
      • I'm busy tomorrow.  Can I take a rain check* on that? 
      • That's very kind of you, but actually I'm doing something else this afternoon.
      • Well, I'd love to, but I'm already going out to the restaurant.
      • I'm really sorry, but I've got something else on.
      • I really don't think I can - I'm supposed to be doing something else.

      (*rain check: used to tell someone that you cannot accept invitations now, but would like to do so at a later time)

      Dialogue:

      Mike and Ann are in a wedding party:
      Mike:Do you want to dance?
      Ann:No thanks. I'm a bit tired right now
      Mike:How about having a drink?
      Ann:Sure, I'd love to!

Expressing Thanks and Gratitude


How to express thanks and gratitude

This page will present different ways of expressing thanks and gratitude in English.
You express thanks to tell someone that you are grateful for something that they have done or given to you.

Expressing thanks and gratitude

Here are different ways to say thank you and to show your appreciation for something done or given to you.
Examples:
  • Thanks.
  • Sincere thanks.
  • Thank you.
  • I am indebted to you.
  • I appreciate what you've done for me.
  • I am grateful.
  • You've been very helpful.
  • I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  • If anyone deserves thanks, it's you.
  • Thanks for being thoughtful.
  • What you've done means a lot to me.
  • How can I ever thank you enough for all you've done?
  • You have been extremely supportive through this difficult time.
  • I want to thank you for all the support and concern.
  • That was very kind of you.
  • Thank you for being there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment